Latest News

HG LEACH Senior RUGBY ROUND UP 18/05/2019:

HG LEACH Senior RUGBY ROUND UP 18/05/2019:

Feature Team Whangamata

Whangamata v Coromandel

Congratulations to the Whangamata team who posted a historic mile stone to beat Coromandel convincingly at Aikin Road Reserve on Saturday.  Fantastic start to Round 2 and the Tom Jordan Cup.

The first half produced some tough rugby with Coromandel putting their big boys to the test for much of the opening half.  The game did take some time to get into gear, however the home side dominated at scrum time and made some good decisions around ruck and maul. Elias Manihera controlled the ball well from No8 and his physicality at tackle time put pressure on the visitors. An early penalty and converted try from Tiaontin Raoren, along with a worked try off the break down to TJ Wise, settled the squad going into halftime.  Argentinian Pedro Caceres-Garzon defended furiously at centre and Jake Comer ran very good lines in the No10 jersey.  Half time 12-3 to the red and white. The message at half time was; keep possession of the ball and maintain a solid defensive line.  Pretty soon Coromandel made crucial mistakes leading to a yellow card.  Joel Taylor returned with a try and Sonny Rau came off the bench to inject some fire power scoring with 60mins on the clock.  Rei Toroa had an outstanding game, switching from wing to fullback and scoring his third try in two weeks.  Big games from Brad Laurensen, Rhys Middleton and Zane Heath in the forwards ensured Whanga’s first premier game win.

Final Score Whangamata 32 – Coromandel 8

Mercury Bay v Hauraki North

Hauraki North arrived at Whitianga on a warm sunny day looking to take the points back over the hill.  Mercury Bay defended well in the first 20 minutes with the visitors dominating possession and territory.  Eventually North crossed the line taking a well-deserved lead.  The weight of possession took its toll on a tiring Mercury Bay defensive line and North took a commanding lead into the break. 

Into the second half the game looked done and dusted when Hauraki North jumped into a 31-5 lead.  Mercury Bay came back into the match late scoring a trio of tries only to fall short at the end.  Hauraki North were impressive and dominated the majority of the game.

Final Score: Hauraki North 31 – Mercury Bay 26

Waihou v Waihi Athletic

Waihi Athletic’s Senior A’s & B’s enjoyed a successful afternoon at Boyd Park, Te Aroha on Saturday when both teams came away with good wins over rival club Waihou.  The Senior B’s made a good start by convincingly beating the Waihou side 48-10.  This positive vibe and determination continued as the A team dominated in opening quarter of the Senior A clash.  Reuben Meares kicked an early penalty goal and moments later he produced a great cross kick for Charles Pipe to latch onto and score.

At 10-0 down Waihou against the run of play scored a converted try, but it was Meares again who finished the scoring in the first half with a further three penalty goals.

The second half was riddled with errors, both sides squandered try scoring chances until intercept king Brett Ranga scored fifty metres to push Waihi out to a comfortable 24-7 lead.  With Waihi emptying their bench, Waihou gained some advantage finishing the stronger side scoring two late tries.

Final Score: Waihi Athletic 24 – Waihou 19

Tairua v Cobras

At the start of the second round and hot on the heels of the fixture versus high flyers Thames, table topping Cobras visited Cory Park.  The endless summer provided another perfect day for the teams, with another good crowd expecting a great game.  They were not to be disappointed, a game of high skill, commitment and passion and a finish that was almost too much to bear followed.

In almost a carbon copy of the game from last week, the large Cobras pack looked to establish their mark on the game, playing tight controlled rugby based on a solid scrum and lineout, severely testing Tairua’s resolve.  For a sold 20 minutes Tairua were starved of possession, with Cobras threatening to breech the defense on multiple occasions.  In keeping with past weeks however, Tairua are a tough nut to crack, at the 30 minute mark neither side had scored, with the home side now very much on an even footing in the game.  Possibly against the run of play, a Rui Swan penalty countered by Cobras going over in the corner started the scoring 3-5 to Cobras at the break.

Soon into the second half Tairua scored two scorching tries.  The first was a thing of beauty, with impressive full back Robbie Orr attacking from deep, beating three defenders to release skipper Josh Law down the touchline.  With the defense coming across in droves, Law muscled his way over. 8-3 to the home side.  5 minutes later the second try followed and Swan converted.  Tairua were firing on all cylinders, 15-5 up.

Cobras are on the top of the table for a reason; their pack re energised and came again.  A score in the corner after a forwards drive brought them back to 15-10 with the clock ticking.

Unbelievably, for the second week running, Tairua lost to the very last play of the game, with concerted pressure resulting in a converted try by the Cobras centre. With no time to restart a brave Tairua side were done.  Supporters stunned.

Final Score: Tairua 15 – Cobras 17

Final Score: Thames 29 – Paeroa 21

HG Leach Senior B Results:

  • Waihou 10 – Waihi Athletic 48
  • Paeroa 18 – Thames 22
  • Mercury Bay 36 – Hauraki North 37
  • Ngatea 22 – Cobras 14


Check out our website for more news.