Latest News


HG LEACH Senior Rugby Round up.

Feature Team: Thames Rugby and Sports Club.

Thames V Waihi Athletic

Thames travelled to Waihi for the much anticipated rematch of last year’s premier final.  Both teams started the match at a frantic pace and high intensity.  The conditions went from light drizzle to heavy rain making handling difficult and inhibiting the full potential of a young, fit, skilled Thames team.  The forwards led by Captain Corbin Saunders, dominated the kick offs with prop Baxter Richards showing speed and presence, allowing no room for Waihi to gather momentum.

Thames made errors in the wet conditions snuffing out several scoring opportunities.  Play-maker Chopper Boughton directed the team well and Ryan Leopold’s abrasive running opened holes for outside backs Tony and Jarrod Goodall.  Thames ability to control the play and make the opposition tackle multiple forward runners, left Waihi unable to gain any dominance, and they were forced to settle for three penalty goals.

Referee Sam Oates controlled the game well, giving the teams the opportunity to play open running rugby.  Shame about the weather!!  Thames “Player of the Day” – number 8, Ryan Leopold.

Final Score: Thames A’s 41 – Waihi A’s 9

Senior B’s

Waihi dominated the first half with Thames not adapting to the conditions, but finding momentum in the second half, to stay competitive. “Player of the Day” – number 8, Kurt McCartney.

Final Score: Thames B’s 17 – Waihi B’s 20

Tairua V Coromadel

Coromandel travelled to Tairua and renewed their Coastal rivalry with a very physical encounter that kept Referee James Higgins extremely busy!

Tairua started well on got on top territorially but were unable to convert chances created. Coromandel then starting to even up the game with some territory of their own and after the first half “battle” Coromandel took the lead 3-0 due to a penalty mid-half.

Tairua started to gain the upper hand in the second half with plenty of possession and territory. Most of the second half was played in the Coromandel end of the field and the pressure finally told with Chaz Stevenson going over for a good try. The game was pretty much now being played in one corner of the field and two further tries by Matt Colee and Luca Berte proved to be decisive. Searching for a bonus point, Tairua didn’t convert further line pressure into points.

Final Score Tairua 15 – Coromandel 3

Mercury Bay V Te Aroha College Old Boys (Cobras)

A delayed start to this match left both teams a little flat and produced an error ridden first half. Cobras cashed in on Mercury Bay’s errors and lead at half time 10 -0. Mercury Bay scored from the kick off in the second half only to concede another try to Cobras shortly after. Cobras backs, especially Dylan Robinson looked dangerous all game and the forward pack worked hard with openside flanker Lewis Craik leading the way on defence.

Mercury Bay hit their straps in the last 20 minutes, generating quick ball and attacking well. The Bay were denied a try under the posts to the very dangerous Regan Crosland in the last minute of play.

Final Score: Cobras 27 – Mercury Bay 21

Waihou V Whangamata

This game was played at Te Aroha and proved to be a closer contest than the home team would have wanted. The game was hard fought by both teams, with Waihou getting first points on the board with no conversion. Jimmy Clarke from Whangamata then got a brilliant intercept try.

The game went tit for tat for the remainder of the half and the scores were level at 10-10 at half time. The match seesawed throughout the second half with the score 20-22 to Whangamata with minutes to go. Waihou rallied and managed a try and conversion in the last minute of play.

Whangamata challenged Waihou in all facets of the game and scored some great tries.  Waihou were made to work hard all game and were relieved to hear the final whistle after a very physical and intense encounter with a much improved Whangamata side.

Final Score: Waihou 27 – Whangamata 22

Hauraki North V Paeroa

This game was played at Centennial Park and both sides were searching for the first win of the season. The home side, fielding a much younger and inexperienced team competed well against the more experienced Hauraki North side. North scored first through a penalty kick but Paeroa struck back almost from the restart with a good try.

The game swung back and forth with both teams threatening. Norths took a good lead near the end of the 2nd half 24-17, however Paeroa fought back hard and scored a try in the last minute of the game but couldn’t land the conversion to draw the game.

Final Score: Hauraki North 24 Paeroa 22

Ngatea V Waihou B’s

Ngatea returned to Te Aroha for the second week in a row and were keen to take another senior B scalp. In a hard fought match Ngatea found themselves trailing 3-0 at half time. In the second half Ngatea scored a try and took the lead 5-3. Waihou came back and scored a try of their own regaining the lead 8-5. Ngatea rallied and scored their second try and lead with minutes remaining.

Ill-discipline from Ngatea lead to a Waihou penalty goal, securing them the game.

Final result: Waihou 11 Ngatea 10


  • Waihi Athletic 20 Thames 17
  • Hauraki North 52 Paeroa 10
  • Mercury Bay win V Cobras (defaulted)
  • Ngatea 10 Waihou 11